Dubbed the best one-day walk in the world. This is a full-day 19 Km challenging hike that crosses Mt Tongariro, past numerous volcanic features.
The trek will take you to the mountain summit with stunning volcanic features along the way. You will walk across a lunar landscape of craters, emerald lakes, mountain springs and lava flows. It will take about 7-8 hours allowing time for photos and breaks.
The mountain can be subject to severe weather so carry alpine survival equipment.Let us plan your Tongariro Alpine Crossing trip for you.
Tongariro Crossing Accommodation:
We provide comfortable accommodation in a range of room types depending on your budget from self-contained motel units to economy lodge rooms. Tariffs range from $150 per night for our CHALET, $110 per night for Studio or Family Motel units, $95/night for an En suite room and $80/night for an Economy room. All tariffs are for up to 2 persons per room with $20 for each additional person.
We can arrange your transport shuttle to the crossing with local operators who provide pick-up and drop-off transportation from our door. Cost is $48 per person. Pick up in Ohakune at 7.15 am with pick up at the end of the crossing track at 4.30 pm. As always any shuttle service on the day is dependent on weather – any necessary decisions are made the evening before.
Fuel up for your walk on a big Kiwi Cooked Breakfast for $16pp. Packed lunch is available for $20pp with prior arrangement.
The Essentials that you will need for your trip: Back pack to carry the following:
* Plenty of water and fluids. Suggest 2 litres per person.
* High energy Food and Lunch.
* Waterproof jacket and pants.
* Good walking boots for the uneven rocky terrain with good standard of sock.
* 2 layers of Warm thermal clothing with woollen hat and gloves. Plus light top and walking shorts.
* Sunscreen, sun hat and sun glasses Cell phone in case of an emergency – There are some pockets of reception on the crossing.
* First aid kit. And dont forget your camera.